Sunday, July 24, 2011

Taking care of one's Self

Well, I am on a roll. Another update and only 1 week away from my last one.

It is Sunday morning and since I am not working, I slept in which means I have already missed breakfast, so it looks like a brunch today. I am thinking maybe pancakes with the left over spicy collard greens from last night. Only if Nathaniel has not taken them with him to work. If so, that is okay. He needs to eat well when he is on the job and I feel better knowing he has them.

I have found that he has not been eating the greatest out on the job sites then how he used to eat when he worked at the storefront. This then leads me to be concerned about how hard it is for people with different dietary lifestyles to be able to take care of themselves. I have been told by many people that it is hard being a Vegan when you are on the road or when meals are being catered for you at the job site. Since Nathaniel, has started working in this entertainment/production setting, he has struggled to continue eating as healthy as he had been. When they cater his Vegan meals - they consist largely of starching foods or just salads that may or may not have some form of cheese on them. He has expressed to me on many occasions on how grateful he is that I have been creating large meals with plenty of left overs for him. However, I feel it should not be this way. It should not be hard for people who have different dietary preferences to be able to have a decent meal.

Yes, things have been getting better. There are much more restaurants with Veg friendly options and grocery stores who have natural/organic sections. However, I feel that it goes back to the fundamental principle of education. People should be educated about health, nutrition and different dietary options. If people had some kind of basic knowledge, then they would understand that putting cheese on a salad for a Vegan is a big deal. However, I also feel that people in those situations need to be proactive in taking care of themselves. While these options are slowly cropping up, it is up to the individual to know what they can and can't have, plan meals, and pack snacks. When someone says to me that it is hard being a Vegan on the road and that is why they fall into Vegetarian mode for that trip, I just tell them that it was their choice and they were not a victim of circumstance. It is not hard to pack a container of nuts or stop by the local grocery store and get a fruit or veggie tray. There are also great resources out there that help Vegans on the road. I love Sarah Kramers' Vegan a Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road. I have brought this mini cookbook (that fits in my purse) on all my travels. I have used her recipes to cook my breakfast, lunch and dinner when I am staying at friend's and family. I also have the tendency to e-mail or call my omnivore friends and family with a recipe I plan to cook with and ingredient list to see if they would eat that or not. My husband and I have also invested in a good cooler to bring along our own meals or treats so that others don't have to worry about feeding us. I remember our apartment hunting trip to Ottawa, I packed a cooler full of seitan loaf for sandwiches, chickpea spread, fruits and veggies and we ate well for five days. We also saved money on only eating out twice at a Vegan restaurant.

Now this little rant is not only for Vegans and Vegetarians to eat well but for anyone interested in taking care of themselves and their body. Food is the fuel the body needs to function properly and combat illness and disease. When you have a healthy balance of food and water daily intake you will be amazed by how energized you feel. All it takes if 6 small meals a day of healthy food groups and portion sizes and you will be amazed by the change. Hey, and if you want to go Vegan - it is a super transformation :)

I good cookbook to help any into a super transformation would be Alicia Sliverstone's The Kind Diet: A Simple Guide to Feeling Great, Losing Weight, and Saving the Planet. I was initially hesitant to purchase this book, since I find that celebrities have the tendency to turning something into a fad and do more harm them good to a movement. However, a good friend of ours, who is very centered individual and who has recently went Macro, highly recommended her book. She also cooked us a few recipes from the book. I loved the food. So I picked up the book and I love Alicia's down to earth writing style, as well as her ability to connect to the reader and bring to light the ups and downs to becoming a Vegan.

No comments: