Sunday, July 17, 2011

Every Down has an Up

Well tonight's post is about my birthday. Why? Because it was a good day. Some background: On the morning of my 20th birthday my father called to inform me that my grandfather had suddenly passed away that morning. So a day of joy was quickly squashed with a tragedy. After that for about 5 years my birthdays turned into days I dreaded. When I turned 21 - someone else close to me passed away mixed a major storm turned tornado, 22 - a major fight with then boyfriend, 23 - I don't even remember it and on my 24th - the realization that the new guy I was seeing was completely wrong for me and creepy. I was beginning to start letting my birthday come and go quietly. However, since I met Nathaniel, the day I always dreaded has progressively gotten better. My 25th birthday was spent with wonderful friends and Nathaniel went all out to make it a special day.  For once I enjoyed celebrating the day of my birth.

Me with Ashley and Mike on my 25th Birthday.

Nathaniel and I.

Me with the delicious Vegan carrot cake Nathaniel made.            

This year's birthday was also a pleasure. I did not know what to expect of my birthday being in a new city away from all friends and family and hardly knowing anyone. However, it turned out better then I expected. It was unfortunate that Nathaniel was unable to join me on the actual day of my birthday due to working at Bluesfest all day. However, he plans to make it up to me this week with a cake and heading out to see the finally installment of Harry Potter. Which also holds close to my heart because every birthday for seven years the new Harry Potter book was released.  

So what did happen on my 26th birthday in a new city? Well, my good friend Kelly came all the way up from Toronto to spend the weekend with me and celebrate. It was her first visit to Ottawa and with my still not knowing to much about the city we spent the day exploring together. We spent the day checking out Parliament Hill, exploring the Byward Market, dined out Vegan style at The Green Door (amazing food at such a good price!), drank red wine, played with Arbonne products and watched the Leaves Eyes and HIM concert dvds. Nathaniel came home early with more Vegan goodies, though Kelly and I were both exploding from the food we already indulged in, we enjoyed these and then I passed out on the couch. It was a fantastic day and one I wish I could do over again and again. Not only was it is great day hanging out with Kelly and exploring Ottawa, but I received birthday wishes all of forms from all kinds of people, old friends, siblings and even new friends. I even treated myself with a gift to myself, a new cookbook The Happy Herbivore Cookbook: Over 175 Delicious Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes. I was blown away by the Vegan section at the Chapters in the Byward Market it was huge and I could have spent all day there. Funny thing about this cookbook, is that it is my 26th Vegan cookbook and I got it on my 26th birthday :) I also bought a couple of new teas from a cute Tea Store in the Market because we can never have a enough tea ;)

It was a wonderful birthday and when I said my goodbye to Kelly today at the bus station, I realized that I was sad to see her leave. It has been wonderful to watch our friendship evolve of the years. I then realized that even though I tend to enjoy time by myself, and have since I was a child, I am increasingly enjoying time with people I connect with and being by myself 95% of the time is not as enjoyable as it used to be. So maybe I can adjust that to a 50/50 ratio as time goes on.

"The aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware".
Henry Miller
                           




No comments: