Monday, August 16, 2010

Responsibility to our Furry Friends

Oh my! It has been quite some time since I have last updated. However, you can tell I have been experimenting and working on making this blog a little more interesting to you.

I guess I broke the promise to myself to write something at least once a day. I realized that I do not like expectations on me from others, and I even do not like doing to it to myself. So I rebelled. Now I am done.

Well, the reason for this current blog is I want to say something about people and there lack of respect for life, particularly for animals, especially their own pets.

I have four beautiful cats who are not my pets but my children. All four of them, Caesar, FuFu, Vi and LuLu have unique personalities and characteristics that make me love and appreciate them everyday. I could not imagine anything happening to them or not be able to take care of them. Even if I was in a situation where it was difficult (and I have) I would do everything in my power to make sure they are taken care of and looked after. I love them dearly. Everyday they make me smile and appreciate the little things in life. Since I have gone Vegan, I have felt my relationship with my cats shift and I feel that they are more affectionate then they have ever been. I have a deep respect for all animals and I am amazed at what they teach me about life and my relationship with Mother Nature.

Which brings me to the situation that occurred today that was really upsetting but not one I haven't encountered before. I met a woman today who was having a dilemma in regards to her two eight year old cats who she has had since they were kittens. She could no longer keep them any longer because her spouse had allergies and the place she moved into does not allow cats. So she has been looking for new homes for them because she could not bear to take them to the Humane society. I was sad to hear that she could not keep them (even though I know she has many options but to each their own). However, my sympathy turned to disgust when she stated that if she could not find them a new home soon she would be forced to have them 'put down'. It is not very often that I dislike someone I just met so quickly. However, it happened. It took all my will power not to say something. I just ended up saying that it would be very unfortunate to have to go to such an extreme and I walked away. I was forced to bite my tongue because I was at work and I did not think it was an appropriate place to get angry at her.

However, this is not the first time I have encountered such a comment/actions from people in regards to their pets.  It amazes me how people adopt cats and dogs, live with them for years and treat them like family; however when the animal becomes an inconvenience, it is either sent away or 'put down'.  Why do people insist on having pets only when it is convenient for them and when it is no longer they put it in their own hands to take that animal's life because it is just easier that way. Wow!! Imagine if people did that to their children - have the baby and realize how much work it is and then decide it is just easier to put the child down. Imagine that! Your probably saying "wow that is pretty sick - no one has that right to take a life."

Well guess what! That animal is alive!! It can feel love, rejection and pain! What right do we have to make the decision whether they live or die. We do not have that right!

When you have taken that animal into your home and shared with it your love and with that animal  (cat/dog/rat/hamster whatever your choice) you have created a bond with a living creature. You have taken responsibility for that creature just as you would a child.

BE RESPONSIBLE. Please don't take the easy way out. When we negate our responsibility and, in my opinion, have violated the Laws of Nature by taking the life of another (animal or human) that was not yours to take. The violation does not go unnoticed by Mother Nature, Karma, and the Higher Consciousness - so I would watch out in the end because what you put out there comes back.

Thank you.

No comments: