Saturday, April 2, 2011

Sail Away to the Other Side

Waking up to a bright sun and birds singing on a Saturday morning is a true sign that Spring is here for me. It has been a great way to start my weekend off, except for the pain my body is in from the intense workout our trainer decided to put Nathaniel and I through Thursday night. I am still sore from it. It doesn't help that I hurt my hand with one of the Kettle bell workouts and it is all bruised up and slightly swollen. But healing, Nathaniel has been doing Reiki on it, so the healing process has sped up quite a bit.

If anyone knows what a kettle bell work out entails you would understand what doing a whole class with 1 min breaks would do to you the next day. If you do not know what working with Kettle bells is like, here is a video : Kettle Bell Drills. Intense? Nathaniel and I have been doing this type of class with many other workout drills for the last year now. I have changed it up by going to a Muay Thai class now. I look back when I first met our trainer and our first class thinking "Nathaniel is crazy! I am not going to endure this hell for him" Ha! A year later I am still going and adding to my workouts. It has been amazing watching my progression from huffing/puffing and struggling through 1 minute jump rope to going 3 min non-stop and then throwing a 20 lbs kettle bell around. It is also proof that Vegans have what it take to get through an extensive work out ;)  Matt, our trainer, at MMPT (his own gym) has a great personality and has pushed me past my comfort zone on many occasions. However, I still complain when he makes us do Burpies. I am going to miss his classes when we move to Ottawa in the summer.

While I am excited to move on to Ottawa and experience all kinds of new culture and opportunities, there are some aspects and friends in North Bay that I am going to miss dearly. For example, last night I was at my friend's son's 2nd birthday party. It was a great time being around the children and playing Auntie to my friend's son, who recognizes me the moment I enter the room even if he hasn't seen me for months. It warmed my heart and to top it all off, they made a small Vegan lasagna and chocolate brownies  (since I couldn't have any cake) to accommodate my being there. After the cake and gift wrapping was done (out of all the Elmo and Mickey stuff - I was the only person who got him his first Batman toy - go figure ;) ) We went over to see the new house they just bought. It was fun exploring and I got a little emotional. I had realized that I had been apart of my friend's journey in creating her family from her dating, marriage, first child, first house and soon to be second child.  I realized that I  may have only 4 months left and lots to do, I still have people to see and things to do before I leave.

So it continues, tomorrow I have a Reiki Share with our friend in the morning. Then in the evening we are having dinner with two friends who are moving to Hawaii in June. It will be my first time having a Macrobiotic dinner. Maybe that explains my dream of having a big bowl of miso soup to eat ;)

Sometimes I am absolutely terrified about moving to a large city and creating a new life for myself. At those times, I think "why don't I just stay here? We have a beautiful apartment, decent jobs, good friends and we know the city." However, I also know that even though we have those things, there is still the sense of incompleteness. We both feel deeply that moving forward would open more opportunities for us and allow ourselves to explore what we have to offer at another level. North Bay has helped us create a solid foundation for our relationship and ourselves but the desire to move and explore is growing stronger :) That desire to stay is just my Cancerian side coming out because what you know is safe and everything is easy that way. Well, in the last two years, I have learned that even what you know as safe is not necessarily easy and if you want to grow you need to be willing to explore change, even if it is a new setting altogether.

No comments: