Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Reiki and Cupcakes

Golden Vanilla Cupcake with Chocolate Icing 

I had been craving cupcakes all week - these were the result of a week/weekend that was rocky but ended with good results.

Last week as a difficult week. On top of  dealing with family and work-related issues as well as car trouble, I was unable to find comfort in my favorite Vegan sweets because of the Reiki Attunement process I was undergoing in preparation for my Level 1 Reiki class on Sunday. However, after everything I learned and experienced on Sunday, the wait was worth it. It was also funny to watch Nathaniel and I go on a baking spree of cupcakes, cookies, and cake all while making dinner Sunday night.

Now you are probably wondering, what is Reiki?  Reiki is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. It is administered by "laying on hands" and is based on the idea that an unseen "life force energy" flows through us and is what causes us to be alive. If one's "life force energy" is low, then we are more likely to get sick or feel stress, and if it is high, we are more capable of being happy and healthy. (Definition provided by The International Center for Reiki Training)

I have experienced quite a few Reiki treatments over the last 2 years and found each treatment to help release some deep emotional issues as well as imbedded stresses that I tend to carry with me. I also find that the energy helps me to maintain my own positive vibration/outlook on life due to the very relaxed and peaceful feeling that comes after a treatment. 
         Nathaniel and I on a few occasions had discussed learning Reiki and getting our certification. It was my Christmas gift to the both of us to get out Level 1, which we completed on Sunday. We learned the academics of Reiki, as well as how to self-treat ourselves with the energy. We now look forward to doing our level 2 in a few weeks where our training will progress so that we can treat others with this deep healing energy. We may proceed to level 3 in the future but for now we feel fulfilled with what we already have learned.

    Now to a few of my friends, this idea of energy healing may sound like a bunch of babble and 'hooky' stuff. Some even go to the point to argue that the only healing modalities based on scientific principles and findings are the only creditable way of healing on individual. Yes, that may be true on a physical level, however, the mind and spirit are just as connected to the physical body and they must be completely healed to allow for a complete recovery and eliminate the recurrence of the aliment. There have been many cases of which when the individual's mind and spirit are at peace then the body begins to heal itself at a miraculous level.  What makes me laugh is that even the earliest sciences have a foundation in mysticism. 
    Since I was a child, I have always held the belief that there is more to this world that meets the eye. That there are some people, places, things, and even events just can't be explained with science or logic. That there is something in the universe so great, whether we call it God, Allah, Consciousness, that it plays an integral role in the way existence is as it is.
     When we are children we are much more open to experiencing and even communicating with what is unseen, whether it be ghosts, spirits, elves, fairies, and even angels. (Yes, I am revealing a little something of myself). As we get older and become further ingrained in the material manifestations of the physical plain, those experiences/communications get filtered and even closed down. Now, whether you are a believer or not, if you think back at some point in our lives we have experienced a metaphysical event. At that time, we may have been a little scared and chose to ignore it may have even gone to lengths to discount the experience and formed a strong disbelieving opinion about it OR it may had sparked something in you a desire to explore, to understand, to touch and feel something unknown. I would say that was my own experience and in the last two years I have been on quite a metaphysical journey, as well as the journey of everyday life, you know going to work, making meals, paying bills etc... However, I have been learning to balance my everyday life with the metaphysical journey I have been on - even going to the lengths to integrate the two. Meditation and Reiki are just two examples of this integration.
        When I was considering going Vegan for the many ethical, environmental and nutritional reasons, I also received a couple of spiritual and metaphysical reasons as well. I will never forget the week when I would pull a card from my Angel Therapy Oracle Cards, I continued to receive the Vegan card that entire week. I knew then that my going Vegan held a another aspect on the journey ahead of me. Over the last year, I have learned that my decision has been quite an awakening on all levels.

Now to enjoy a beautiful sunny day of cooking/baking! 



No comments: